[OM] Recent Images [was IMG: Trust, Color]

Subject: [OM] Recent Images [was IMG: Trust, Color]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2013 15:07:00 -0800
Now that I've posted highly deserved, and overdue from me, praise, I hope a few
less than laudatory comments on some
technical things aren't out of order. :-)

I'm commenting on many images, but what set me off, brought me out of "great
people pics, don't sweat the details." mode
is "Trust". You posted both B&W and color versions for comparison. But they are
otherwise VERY different versions, so
the comparison seems meaningless to me.

Let me illustrate. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Manley/Trust.htm>

Look especially at Color Converted vs. the B&W image you posted. They are
wildly different in details, tonal
distribution, shadow detail, and so on.

You posted a few images of people waiting at the eye clinic. They are wonderful
in subject, moment captured and
composition. But most of them make my eyes go all funny looking at them.

I know, I know "focus on the eyes". But fuzzy noses, sticking forward like 3D,
just don't look good to me.

  Cataracts - This is an outtake to me. Focal plane far enough behind the eyes
that even they aren't in focus.

   Mauricio - The nose isn't bad, and others probably won't notice, or care,
but it pulls me away from the overall face.
FocusMagic can fix this little OOF.

   Raul - I just want to get away from that nose! Cover the bottom half, and
the eyes are wonderful.

   Carlos - That's the best placement of focal plane for me. Stop down one, and
it's perfect! (Or use FM)

   Juana - Close, very close. FM can make the nose not OOF, without calling
attention to it.

   Paulina - OK, sharp pores on the nose and fuzzy face/eyes is even worse.

Why are they all different colors? Same people, same place, same film.

The Christmas Orchid is a lovely composition, with lovely color. But it too,
makes my eyes go funny. They hunt all
around, looking for a place to rest. Either the focal plane is in the wrong
place or it just needs more DOF.

Most of A Second Opinion is nice. But the man's face looks like overdone HDR,
unnatural.

I've said it before, but ... 'Twere me, I'd find a set of settings for each
film and auto process them all that way
first, maybe many of them - then look back and see which both merit and would
profit from further adjustment.

That way, groups, like the cataract patients, would all look the same in color,
contrast, etc. If someone has jaundice,
they will look yellowish, and that's real. By now, I have no idea what
Mauricio's skin color may have been. If you
standardize, you don't have to worry so much about each face.

Where is the benefit of individual work on these Raul and Paulina images? You
have how many 100s of 1000s of unscanned
images. There are thousands of spectacular images in there. Will you ever get
to them, working this way?

Your images, your calls. Just one Moose's opinions, in hopes that they may be
of some help.

Moose D'Opinion