Re: [OM] E-M5 lens plan [was Major Oly rebates]

Subject: Re: [OM] E-M5 lens plan [was Major Oly rebates]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 16:24:10 -0800
On 1/7/2013 7:16 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Thanks.  Your comments (especially about rain) caused me to go take a
> close look at the specs for the 12-50 and 14-150.  I too think that the
> 14-150 is likely to be my walkaround lens with panos making up for the
> loss of 24mm equivalent field of view.  But I also see that the 12-50 is
> the one that provides splash protection and closer macro.  So for $150
> (with kit price and rebates) I'll be sure to include it as well.

I spent a lot time going over specs - and ended up buying almost everything. :-)
There really isn't a "do everything" lens, unfortunately.

> And thanks also for the battery tip.  I assume you mean this one:
> <http://www.amazon.com/EZOPower-Olympus-Full-Decoded-Rechargeable-E-M5/dp/B00A743A06/ref=sr_1_4?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1357570790&sr=1-4&keywords=OM-D+E-M5+battery>

That's the one I saw. I'll probably pick it up, or one like it, when it's
available with Prime. No hurry, as I already
have two Wasabi's with separate charger. I couldn't wait, with two trips coming
up, one quite lengthy. Ad they worked
out well.

> I won't give you the battery safety pitch any more.  First, because I've
> been violating it myself and, second, because the specs on this one
> explicitly state: "Integrated microchip prevents overcharging &
> lengthens battery life."

I imagine there is a simple, in-line packaged chip to do that for a couple of
pennies in quantity in China, and
everybody is using them.

> and, due to the decoding, "It also can be
> charged by original BCN-1 charger."  Use of the Oly charger resolves the
> charger side of the lithium ion battery safety concern which requires
> battery and charger cooperation.
>
> It has about 15-20% less capacity but for the price I'll buy two.

I'll tell you, there is such a good, warm feeling when I see the red flashes -
and know I have a spare battery in my
pocket. Happened again just under two weeks ago.

Like a camera in the back of the car, a battery in the bag isn't always
available when needed. I've now found a simple
case, designed for something else, for one in my pocket, replacing a worn
plastic bag, and accommodating an extra flash
card, too.

Energizer Moose