Re: [OM] Trifles with Tripods, Part 1

Subject: Re: [OM] Trifles with Tripods, Part 1
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 06:06:00 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

> > ... I tried improvising with a monopod clamped in a Manfrotto Super Clamp,
> > but that was a
> > disaster waiting for an opportunity to happen.
>
> As I thought, but didn't want to inhibit a free thinker. :-)

     It seemed like a practical approach, but it needed a square cross-section
boom.  Then the Focus tripod came around.

> > However, while rummaging in a thrift store I came across a Focal 20-08-41
> > tripod, which consists
> > of a less than adequate set of legs with a quick-rise column, a mediocre
> > 3-way head, and a nicely
> > designed tilting crank-up boom.  I quickly made a new 1-piece base for the
> > boom with a 3/8"
> > threaded mounting hole, and the result, named Frankenpod 01, is to be seen
> > here:
> >
> >       http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8292007631/in/photostream
>
> That looks like a nice design - if I could see it clearly. It appears you
> need a tripod to take a
> picture of your tripod. ;-)

     Plus it was in the early evening, resulting in a 1/3 second hand-held
photo.  I should have brought out one of the Ambicos.

> OTOH, it looks big and heavy, so I won't be ordering one. Not sure if it's
> any better than the
> Cullmann set-up Walt used? But yours was more fun for you - and cheaper. :-)

     The Cullman looks to be ideal, but way out of my price range.  Same for
the Vivitar, which can be found in Europe.  This boom assembly is much lighter
than the Manfrotto 3001 tripod, and I picked up that Focus tripod for just $13.

Chris