Re: [OM] Trifles with Tripods, Part 1

Subject: Re: [OM] Trifles with Tripods, Part 1
From: om4ti <om4ti@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 20:57:55 -0500
--
Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I used to be able to make hand-held exposures of up to a full second without
blurring anything. Not so anymore, so I am having to improvise in order to
enable my tripod to assist in situations where no tripod accessory is available
or is too bloody expensive. And besides, it's winter and I have plenty of time
to tinker in my shop.

One accessory of interest was an extendable boom. I tried improvising with a
monopod clamped in a Manfrotto Super Clamp, but that was a disaster waiting for
an opportunity to happen. However, while rummaging in a thrift store I came
across a Focal 20-08-41 tripod, which consists of a less than adequate set of
legs with a quick-rise column, a mediocre 3-way head, and a nicely designed
tilting crank-up boom. I quickly made a new 1-piece base for the boom with a
3/8" threaded mounting hole, and the result, named Frankenpod 01, is to be seen
here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8292007631/in/photostream

Frankenpod 01 is a combination of a Manfrotto 3001 tripod, the crank-up boom
from the Focal 20-08-41 tripod, a Velbon PH-250B head, and a Manfrotto 323
quick release adapter. It seems to function as well as I had expected, and only
time will tell if it is worth the effort.

Next project, Frankenpod 02, is a salvaged telescope equatorial mount modified
to serve as a tripod head with vernier tilt and pan adjustments. I only came
across a distressed Meade 395 telescope the other day which donated a broken
mount for this project, and it will take a few days to finish the
modifications. The 90x1000mm f/11 telescope proper is a very worthy restoration
project, and the tripod legs are carefully stored away as spares.

Chris