Re: [OM] Instagram Wants To Sell Users' Photos Without Notice

Subject: Re: [OM] Instagram Wants To Sell Users' Photos Without Notice
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 22:31:56 -0800
On 12/18/2012 2:19 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
>> T...
>>
>> My situation is a little more unique than the average middle-aged
>> geek. Due to my travel schedule, I live life in the "cloud". Google is
>> the "cloud" for the masses. It's the glue that ties my phone, iPad and
>> computers together. Apple's idea of "cloud" is entertainment-based and
>> pretty much a joke. I use a total of four different computers, an iPad
>> and a phone and Google makes it possible for me to function between
>> all of them with ease. And it's getting better all the time. With my
>> Eye-Fi card, I'm even extending the Google cloud to my digital
>> camera--making that part of the entire experience.

I became clear to me yesterday that I could use some further cloud connections.
I woke up to a power outage, with a
friend due to drop by for a nosh and work on a joint project. She would arrive
at a rapidly cooling house with no hot food.

And her cell phone number was in an email in Thunderbird. As it happens, Carol
had also received the email, and her iPad
was at home. I guess I need to find a cloud way to keep everything coordinated.

You took a gentle poke at me for getting an iPhone. Last night, we at dinner
with my family. Carol and I, my two sons
and their wives, two granddaughters, another grandmother and great aunt. Count
noses, and you have a count of the
iPhones. No more than 3 or 4 iPads, though, that I know of. I think iMessage is
the family comm line.

And with an iPhone maven staying with us, the decision was easy.

There is another reason. Have you used their latest voice recognition?
Amazingly good. Makes Dragon look like junk
(which I have often thought it is). I can enter the iM world, send emails,
write lists, set alarms, and so on and on,
without using that silly little virtual keyboard more than a little.

I was talking to a Dr friend a couple of weeks ago about his travails with
their medical records system and Dragon
Medical. I pointed the iPhone at him, and he rattled off a piece he uses to
stump them. This is my intro and his spiel,
as recorded on the iPhone:

"Davids colleagues even those who are computer literate, are still three hours
behind at the end of the day."

"To sit in solemn silence in a Dell damn dog in a pestilential prison with a
lifelong lock awaiting the sensation of a short sharp shock from a cheap and
chippy chopper on a big black block your witness"

"Dell" should be some other word I didn't catch. Now, he was careful to
enunciate clearly, but had clearly rehearsed his speech recognition stumper,
and it was quite rapid. Those are amazing results.

And there's this project, where speech recognition would be a killer app ...

The whole iThingie business is sort of odd. In some ways almost scarily
integrated. One son sent me an iM with his new
phone number. When I went to put it in my contact list, it was already in
there, under iPhone. All I had to do was
delete the 'Mobile' entry with the old number.

Then there is the isolation of individual apps. Lack of direct access to the
file system (without a hack on a computer
attached with iTunes) and the lack of shared access among apps with the same
sort of files seems just silly. Without an
app like DropBox, it would be crippled for some work.

And the Yahoo Mail app is odd. I can delete mail locally, but it doesn't affect
the web copy. So I have to re-delete the
dross on a 'real' computer later.

Thunderbird does the same thing - if you want it to, or will delete either
immediately or after a time you can set.

I Phone Moose