Re: [OM] IMG: Autofocus Nightmare

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Autofocus Nightmare
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 19:07:32 -0500
It appears that focus was on the tail numbers where contrast is highest.
  No matter what the camera and whether auto or manual focus one will
eventually encounter a case where the camera and/or the operator is
unable to focus due to low light/contrast.

I was just browsing (wanted to say thumbing) through the E-510 manual to
see how many focus points it had and where they were located.  I see it
only has 3 focus points and all three are close together.  finding a
point to focus on may require re-framing for a focus point, focusing,
locking focus (switch to manual or use the AF lock button) and then
re-framing again for the shot.  As Chris points out it may just be
easier to focus manually... assuming, that is, that you can see better
than the camera which is not always the case. :-)

While browsing the E-510 manual I came across the mention of using the
built-in flash for focus assist.  I'd never heard of using the flash
itself for that function and glad to see it there.  The Canons
(full-frame at least) put focus assist on the flash but as a separate
red beam from the flash body and not part of the flash head.  In fact,
that's part of the reason I own the Canon film era flash that I do
(540EZ) because the focus assist lamp goes out to 15 meters.  Other
Canon flashes only reach to 10 meters.  Focusing on the dimly lit dance
floor of an evening wedding reception demanded it.

Anyhow you've got to adapt to whatever you and your equipment can do.

Chuck Norcutt