[OM] IMG: Dona Cleta

Subject: [OM] IMG: Dona Cleta
From: Tina Manley <images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 18:48:17 -0500
PESO:

Moving to Honduras and B&W.  This is a scan of a print.  I'm still looking
for the negative - close to finding it.  Dona (tilde on the n which I don't
know how to do) was the only member of the Chorti Maya village who could
still speak the original Chorti Maya language.  She said the kids were not
interested in learning and when she died two years ago, the language died
with her.  Here she is explaining to Dr. Frank Strait that she has problems
breathing.  She had severe osteo-arthritis and was very stooped and tiny.
 She's about 3'4" and Dr. Strait is about 6'4".  I have another photo of
her with an even taller doctor that I'll try to find.  I like their
eye-contact and obvious communication in spite of the fact that they do not
speak each other's languages.

C&C greatly appreciated.

Tina

--