Re: [OM] IMG: Birds Best Seen from a Distance

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Birds Best Seen from a Distance
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2012 21:44:27 -0800
On 12/6/2012 7:01 PM, Mark Marr-Lyon wrote:
> Around here, it's rare to see them landed. Mostly we see them gliding
> around on the updrafts - sometimes in groups of more than 20. They're
> interesting birds, and sometimes they're close enough to see the red
> head, but I agree that it is nicer to watch the hawks and migrating
> sandhill cranes :)

I have a bit of a 'thing' for TVs. I am endlessly impressed by their mastery on
the air.

I particularly recall once on the N. coast, on a smallish beach with surf
crashing in and high winds swirling around in
the space enclosed by sandy bluffs. A TV appeared over the bluff, sailed
through the cove, checking it out thoroughly,
then rose gracefully up over the other end, all without apparently moving a
muscle.

Around here, they tend to find favorite trees, then roost for the night in
groups. One may occasionally get good shots
that way.

At an animal rescue center in Marin Co., they had a female with an injury such
that she couldn't fly. So she was in a
cage where one could get quite close. Not pretty, by any means, not even cute,
but somehow endearing. :-)

The Golden Eagle and the Bald Eagle pair were more spectacular, but I always
stopped to say hello to her.

The really great looking desert scavengers in the SW and down through at least
Central America are Caracaras. Folks try
to call them hawks, or even eagles, but they are primarily scavengers. And
don't fly with anything like the beauty and
grace of TVs. But man, they look elegant.

Scavenger Lover Moose