Re: [OM] JUST LIKE FILM...

Subject: Re: [OM] JUST LIKE FILM...
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 09:35:01 -0600
> While Paw Paw, Michigan was named after
> the tree in 1837 it's at the extreme northern range of the tree.

"Extreme" is a little bit of an understatement for the tropical
variety, but "Asimina triloba" does reach up into Michigan and
Ontario. In fact, it's range is extended up a bit along the shorelines
of the Great Lakes where the lakes tend to control the limits of
extreme winter cold temperatures a bit. If you note the map in
Wikipedia, the line in Michigan follows a pretty specific terrain and
soil shift. North of that line everything changes. I grew up right at
that transition point. Twenty miles north is completely different than
twenty miles south. The trees, soil and climate are different. Same
with lower Ontario--that particular spot is very unusual in what can
be grown--including tobacco. There was Paw Paw growing in the area
where I grew up--well, OK, on the south edge of town and down in the
riverflat. But that was it. By the time you get to Grand Haven, Paw
Paw grew pretty well.

AG

Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx