Re: [OM] OT - Air source heat pumps and related matters

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - Air source heat pumps and related matters
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 09:58:01 -0800
> From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Very interesting.  I've never heard of this [hay bale construction]

I've worked on a half-dozen such buildings. They are quite common in
Permaculture circles.

In our climate, straw bale is often combined with other natural building
techniques, such as cob (clay-straw matrix) or light clay infill (wood chips or
straw coated with a clay slurry). Typically, one would use straw bale for the
north wall for its insulation value, and cob on the south wall for direct solar
gain and thermal mass.

Straw bale construction can yield R-36 walls -- about three times what you get
in stick-frame-fiberglass construction.

:::: In 100 years our present way of life will be only a bad dream. -- Misty Eve