Re: [OM] [OT]Global warming, was: Air-source Heat Pump?

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT]Global warming, was: Air-source Heat Pump?
From: Rob Harrison <robhar54@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 11:32:28 -0800
I missed this thread (just occasionally checking in on the web these days)
but if anyone has questions about efficient mechanical systems, I am happy
to share what I know about them off-list. I'm not a mechanical engineer,
but I've been seriously engaged in Passive House (Passivhaus) since 2009,
and have learned heaps about this kind of thing. (Passive House reduces
heating energy requirements by 90%, *before* adding any on-site energy
sources like photo-voltaic panels. In order to do that everything including
both the envelope of the building and the mechanical systems, has to be as
efficient as possible. Click here to read more on my
site<http://harrisonarchitects.com/passive_house>.)
 For the most recent Passive House (the second in Seattle) on which I
consulted <http://www.cascadebuilt.com/projects/park-passive/> we used a
mini-split air-source heat pump for space heating, and an air-source heat
pump water heater for domestic hot water. We put the DHW tank inside the
heated space, and ducted intake and exhaust to the outside. Good stuff.

Rob in Seattle