Re: [OM] Flash remotes

Subject: Re: [OM] Flash remotes
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 21:12:32 -0500
I know the Schnozz still pushes cheap ebay triggers but I gave up on
them after purchasing 2 sets of 4 (at different times, different models
from different sellers).  They were so unreliable and had such short
range that I was made nearly bald by tearing my hair out trying to get
them to fire.  You're welcome to try it if you like as they're generally
cheap enough to throw away if they don't work.  The only problem is that
my experience says you'll waste your time and money and end up throwing
them out.

Pocket Wizards are probably the best and have quite a long range but
they're not perfect by any means (I've spent a lot of time trying to get
some recalcitrant ones [owned by someone else] to fire).  What I use
myself these days (conditioned by my love for my very reliable Alien
Bees studio lights) are these:
The full product line <http://www.paulcbuff.com/cybersync.php>
and the specific transmitter and receivers I use
Transmitter : <http://www.paulcbuff.com/cst.php>
Receivers(2): <http://www.paulcbuff.com/csr.php>
      Use the CSRB (battery powered) rather than the CSR (AC)
I recommend some different stuff from Paul Buff if you were setting up a
studio but what I have recommended above is just right for portable
flashes (and will work for studio too)

There are other units on the market which I know little about but these
I have used for about 5 years.  They work and work reliably and are
relatively inexpensive relative to Pocket Wizards.  All 3 units will
cost you about $200.  The cheapest Pocket-Wizard set would be $450 and
the more expensive "original" style Pocket-Wizards would be $885.  The
specs say the range is up to 350 feet.  My own test shows more like 160
feet free air distance but that's fine with me.  I've never been in a
reception hall where I needed more than 160 feet (nor anywhere even
close to that except one time where i did need more than 100).

Whatever type of units you buy I'd suggest that you start with one
transmitter and one or (preferably) two receivers.  If you have more
lights than that the other lights can usually be fired by optical
triggers.  If you have studio lights they usually include a built-in
optical trigger but you can use rather cheap optical triggers with hot
shoe attachments for portable flash units.  Note the two optical
triggers (black cubes at top) in this image
<http://www.chucknorcutt.com/gear/Homemade%20bracket%20&%20various%20hotshoe%20adapters.jpg>

  They have a 1/4-20 screw thread in the bottom for attaching to tripods
or light stands and a hot shoe on top for attaching a portable flash.
They're easily found on ebay such as:
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEAGULL-SYK-3-Hot-Shoe-Flash-Light-Remote-Optical-slave-Trigger-for-Canon-Nikon-/250888270544?pt=Camera_Flash_Accessories&hash=item3a6a1b32d0>

  I suspect they all come out of the same factory and have for at least
10-15 years.  You could also run some sort of PC cord from these hot
shoes or other connector to a T-45 which I believe has a PC connection
as well as OM TTL connectors. If you have to concoct some sort of odd
flash electrical attachment you can usually find a solution here
<http://www.paramountcords.com/>  If they don't have it they'll make it
for you.  I prefer the Paramount "miniphone to hot shoe female"
connector near the bottom of this page
<http://www.paramountcords.com/products.asp?cat=70> as the miniphone
connects to the plug socket on the Paul Buff receivers.  They're $45-50
new but you can find them used on ebay sometimes for about $20.

Good luck with your choices
Chuck Norcutt