Re: [OM] Happy Thanksgiving, a new camera

Subject: Re: [OM] Happy Thanksgiving, a new camera
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 22:10:26 -0800
On 11/24/2012 6:05 AM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
> It certainly looks nice and clean at ISO 800. Did you try it at higher
> speeds, like 3200?

I've posted a number of shots at ISO 3200 and 6400. If you only intend to
continue to post full frames at web sizes, you
may assume there is no noise through 3200 and 6400 takes only modest NR.

I believe Peter's examples, and many others, confirm that.

The effect that you might find a limitation is reduction of dynamic range above
about 1600. Still, shooting a black cat
in modest room light is not a bad test.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Travel/NorthEast_2012/Massachussetts/Hamilton&image=_9292310croofm.jpg>

The above is a modest crop with Moose manipulation.

This and the ones around it in the gallery are ISO 6400 JPEGs straight out of
the camera, absolutely untouched other
than downsizing.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Travel/NorthEast_2012/Bridgton_Fryeburg/Fryeburg_Fair&image=_A022637.jpg>

NR is whatever the camera's default setting is.

As I've gained experience with the camera, the upper limit for Auto ISO has
moved from 800 to 1600 to 3200. And, as you
can see, I've gone to 6400 on occasion.

High Speed Moose