Re: [OM] Happy Thanksgiving, a new camera

Subject: Re: [OM] Happy Thanksgiving, a new camera
From: Peter Klein <pklein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 18:34:25 -0800
Thanks for the comments and encouragement, everyone.  Nathan, I'll have
some high ISO samples up shortly.  I didn't buy the Olympus kit zoom, so
I can't evaluate that. I still have the original Panasonic 14-45 that
came with my G1. Though slow, it's quite good. So I'm going to use that
as my zoom for now.  I have the Panny 20/1.7, and a slightly used Oly
45/1.8 is on its way to me.

I've already used the G1 for several years, so I'm familiar with EVF
issues.  Best advice I can give is to wear a cap or broad-brimmed hat.
The OM-D is a much faster, more responsive camera than the G1. But after
shooting a skateboarder today, I'm still finding that that what I see in
the EVF happened a fraction of a second ago. So if you want to capture
action, you need to anticipate, or keep both eyes open.  That's why
Oscar Barnack invented the Leica and Maitani the OM.  :-)

Regarding adapters for OM and other lenses, there can be an issue. There
is a pin that sticks out of the OM-D lens mount. If that point on the
adapter isn't machined down enough, the pin will be partially depressed,
and the screen and OVF will not turn on with the adapter mounted. There
is no "shoot without lens" menu item like in the Panasonics.  My $20
Cirrus adapters for OM and Leica M had this problem. Since the adapters
were cheap, I took drastic action.  A few minutes with an electric drill
and a small file took care of the problem.  From a shootout I did with
an OM-D owning friend a few weeks ago, I can tell you that with the
better Leica M and OM lenses, the sensor really shines.

By the way, the OM-D will work with the original standard 4/3 zooms that
don't know about contrast autofocus, with the proper adapter. It's slow
(a couple of seconds), but it works. The camera has an algorithm that
converges on the focus point like a mathematical method converges on a
solution.  Since some of the standard 4/3 zooms are very, very good,
it's something to consider for relatively static subjects. Uwe
Steinmueller on getdpi.com has reported that the Type II 4/3 lenses
(that know about contrast AF) work, too. They are still slower to focus
than the native micro 4/3 lenses.

This afternoon I took my dog for a walk along with the OM-D and Panny
14-45.  We started out in lovely late afternoon sunshine, which later
turned into a deluge.  There was some great light and a bonus.  Pictures
soon.

--Peter