Re: [OM] IMG: More Thursday Flowers

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: More Thursday Flowers
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 08:57:09 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

> >      Second one is Pacific Willow (Salix lucida ssp. lasiandra syn
> > S. lasiandra):
> >
> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8211430876/in/photostream/
> >
> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8211430224/in/photostream/
> >
> >       I've walked past this tree for years, not noticing anything out
> > of the ordinary as it was more than 6 meters tall with the leaves out of
> > close range.  But this time I happened to notice that the leaves were
> > quite large, very dark in colour, and had small clasping leaves along
> > the stem.  There are at least four species of willow in the area
> > (Goodding, Red, and Arroyo being the other three) and this was the last
> > of those four that I had not yet observed.
> >

> Pacific willow recovering from fire?

     Yes, and it was a bit of a surprise.  Many of the trees at that spot were
more cooked than burned, and I guess the root ball of this one did not get hot
enough to destroy it.  On the way back I noticed a pair of what may be Goodding
Willows just downstream that appear to have survived unscathed.  This is the
furthest upstream spot for perennial water in the drainage, and downstream from
there you'll at least have damp sand, plus there are additional seeps here and
there such as the one where I found the Thicket Creeper.  I also found some
early growth of Golden Columbine at a couple of others.

     The narrow riparian vegetation zone of the streambed is typically
dominated with Grassleaf Sedge, Deergrass, and the largest expanse I know of
Cardinal Flower.  It will be late March or May before we get to see what will
recover from the fire and subsequent flash flooding.  Much of the vegetation
was either swept away or buried under alluvial debris.

     I have yet to see a single upstream Cottonwood that survived, so there is
little in the way of seedstock available except for those well downstream.  The
vast majority of Sycamores are regenerating, and with the almost total
destruction of the Junipers we should see some recruitment of Sycamore and
Willow soon to restore the drainage to Cottonwood, Sycamore, and Willow with a
scrub Oak transition.

Chris

Chris