[OM] IMG: More Thursday Flowers

Subject: [OM] IMG: More Thursday Flowers
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 08:08:35 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>Those are impressive blue anthars.  Very cool wildflower.  Thanks for
>posting.

     I finished identifying two more plants from that trip.  First one is
Brownplume Wirelettuce (Stephanomeria pauciflora):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8210344065/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8211431628/in/photostream/

Many field guides describe this entire genus as having ten petals, whereas it
can be five or ten.  The bifurcated anthers make a good identification key.

    Second one is Pacific Willow (Salix lucida ssp. lasiandra syn S. lasiandra):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8211430876/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8211430224/in/photostream/

     I've walked past this tree for years, not noticing anything out of the
ordinary as it was more than 6 meters tall with the leaves out of close range.
But this time I happened to notice that the leaves were quite large, very dark
in colour, and had small clasping leaves along the stem.  There are at least
four species of willow in the area (Goodding, Red, and Arroyo being the other
three) and this was the last of those four that I had not yet observed.

     Now that I've completed the initial USFS work in setting up photopoints, I
can go through the area more casually, leaving the notebook behind and instead
carrying a suitable (ie - heavy and reversible) tripod and spend an entire day
looking carefully for interesting plants.

Chris