Re: [OM] (OT) How me & my D3 spent the morning.

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) How me & my D3 spent the morning.
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 08:09:31 -0500
Thanks, Chuck. I used two white umbrellas, with the flash reflected, one at 45
degrees and high for the Main, the other right at my left shoulder for fill.
(Inexpensive manual camera flashes, not studio strobes.) In addition, I had a
gold reflector camera left to throw in a little warmth. The light itself was
pretty soft, but I added a touch of negative clarity in Lightroom to further
soften. Not a lot. I moved the slider until I could tell it had done something,
and then stopped. The black background is black muslin from Adorama. I got it
inkier than it was by moving the Black slider in LR to the left until the
background was where I wanted it, but before it started having a negative
effect on the image. For a stray fold or two that managed to show through, I
just used a healing brush.

This is all  new to me. First time I've used umbrellas. First time I've used a
two-light setup. The shots I was going for, which she wants to use in some
publicity work, came through okay. I got some that caused her to jump up and
down with excitement. Then I tried some other stuff, such as feathering the
light and using a flash behind her for accent that didn't work out so well. I'm
chalking this one up to beginner's luck, and vowing to put a little more effort
into learning studio lighting. I think there may be a few gigs around here that
no one's picking up.

--Bob