Re: [OM] : E-M5 question

Subject: Re: [OM] : E-M5 question
From: "List, OM" <om-list@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 11:03:34 -0800
I need to quit posting just before going to sleep. Your guess of 75-300 was
what I was referring to. Sorry for the confusion.
http://cameraergonomics.blogspot.com/2012/05/panasonic-100-300-vs-olympus-75-300.html
http://cameraergonomics.blogspot.com/2012/05/micro-four-thirds-shutter-shake.html

After seeing this review I was concerned about the 75-300 but given its
size I was very ready to live with a few quirks. My own limited experience
is that careful hand holding doesn't seem to have shutter-shake problems. I
have seen the problem with it mounted on a very sturdy tripod(giant 5
series Gitzo). It is hard to imagine anything moving but lens elements.

"Handheld" but not a noteworthy picture: http://jkeller.com/P8280019.jpg (I
was kneeling down and braced against a concrete barrier.) I don't think I
achieved anything this sharp with the Zuiko 500/8 handheld on an OM. Your
perception of better IS at short focal lengths is interesting. The IS at
the long end definitely helps me.

The four thirds 50-200 was one of the first lenses I noticed being a little
loose. I don't think I saw it affect any of the few pictures I've used it
for, probably primarily because of shutter speed.

The very heavy fast long telephotos from film days probably get a good
amount of their reputation for great image quality from their mass and
rigidity.

I don't know if you will see it with either your Sigma or Meade but putting
a 500+ mm lens on a four thirds camera with 10x live view quickly shows
weaknesses. I have a fairly heavy Sigma 500 catadioptric which has a small
tripod foot. Apparently the tripod foot is a little loose (even though I
can't feel it). The view moves.

jeff keller