Re: [OM] : E-M5 question

Subject: Re: [OM] : E-M5 question
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 02:16:13 +1300
 Chuck wrote
> Does the IS on the E-M5 need to be disabled when on a tripod or
> partially disabled when using a monopod?
>
> Chuck Norcutt

Last autumn  ( 6 months ago ), two or three times I travelled 80 minutes or
so to photograph a particularly striking line of Lombardy poplars in strong
side light I used the Olympus E-3 as well as film in the OM4Ti

With the E-3 I shot hand-held with IS switched on, and also on my rather
solid Gitzo Studex 320 tripod with 3-way manfrotto head, with the IS turned
off..

Having stored these images in my computer, I looked at them using
FastStone, which has a wonderful method of enlarging an image.

I was amazed to find consistently that the hand-held 'IS-on' shots were
slightly but distinctly sharper than the tripod 'IS-off' shots.

I 'think' I used the time-honoured method of pushing the tripod firmly to the
earth while tripping the shutter. I did not turn on shutter-delay - though I
could have  2 or 12 seconds.

I have more shots to take of roses etc over the coming weeks. I plan to give
my manual macro lenses a workout, AND I think I will leave the IS on.

Brian Swale