Re: [OM] E-M5 question

Subject: Re: [OM] E-M5 question
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2012 19:57:31 -0500
That's interesting but I don't think Canon got your memo.  The
instructions for the Canon 70-200/2.8 IS lens say to turn off the IS
function when shooting in Bulb mode and, additionally, it might be
helpful to turn it off on a tripod under certain (unspecified)
conditions.  Since my 5D will do a shutter speed of 30 seconds without
using bulb mode I conclude that all is well until 30 seconds.  But on a
practical note 1/2 second is probably more reasonable since subject
motion will likely be a more serious problem pretty quickly after 1/2
second.

Anyhow, the reason I asked the question is that it has always been my
understanding that early Canon IS lenses wanted the IS turned off when
on a tripod but that that restriction had been lifted on later lenses.
The instructions for the 70-200/2.8 IS seem to bear that out.  I was
expecting to hear that Olympus had done the same.

So I finally decided to go to the horses mouth and looked in the E-M5
user's manual.  Its only comment on the subject is to turn the IS off if
the camera is on a tripod.

Chuck Norcutt