Re: [OM] Binoculars [was Some B&W]

Subject: Re: [OM] Binoculars [was Some B&W]
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2012 13:55:17 -0800
I concur with the Moose... mostly. However I would put the sweet spot in
the $400-500 +/- range. True, the return for the $$$ drops off sharply
after $100-200 and after $500 a casual user will be hard pressed to
notice any substantial difference. Personal preference is more important
than spending $2K+.

I did "last binoculars I'll ever buy" shopping a few years ago. I think
I reported here.  Ended up with these except cheaper grey market.

<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/278461-USA/Pentax_62616_10x43_DCF_SP_Binocular.html>

I shopped Leica, Swarovski, Zeiss, etc. up to about $2K. (current prices
would push that up)

Criteria:

-great optics and edge sharpness. (not a problem)
-able to use for long periods without tiring. 10x is pushing it and I
also have a monopod mount.
-fast acquisition and focus
-usable with glasses. This was a tough one and requires an eye relief of
at least +16mm

Narrowed down to Leica or the Pentax. At $1K cheaper and very minor
difference, (slightly more color fringing in the Pentax) it was a
no-brainer.  The deciding factor in narrowing down the final choices was
fast image acquisition and comfortably holding the image while wearing
glasses. While the Zeiss and Swarovski were superb the Pentax were
better in this department and the price couldn't be beat.

Couldn't be Happier Mike