Re: [OM] MM files disected

Subject: Re: [OM] MM files disected
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2012 16:31:21 -0800
On 11/7/2012 10:43 AM, Tina Manley wrote:
> This is a good article that reaches the same conclusions I have about the
> MM and M9:
>
> <
> http://blog.leica-camera.com/photographers/blog-contributors/fegor-a-fetishists-guide-to-the-monochrom-part3/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+LeicaCamera+%28Leica+Camera+Blog%29

"Grey is good! Grey is /desirable/! Grey allows you, the photographer, to
manipulate an image the way /you/ want to
manipulate it. Grey lets you add contrast where you want it. It lets you
accentuate micro-contrast where you want it. It
lets you dodge, burn and create a path through the image for the eye to follow.
It lets you call the shots. Just because
the files come out of the camera with a lot of beautiful grey tonality does’t
mean you’re required to display them that
way. You could, instead, spend 60 seconds inside Lightroom, Photoshop, or one
of a myriad other applications and make
the file look the way /you/ want it."

Sounds like Tina and Egor agree with Moose ;-) :

"Tina was kind enough to make some of her MM DNG files available. I'm not
impressed with them straight out of the camera with default ACR conversion. DR
seems good, noise is low, tonal transitions are smooooth, but ... There's
something, maybe about the distribution of tones (?) that just leaves me
unexcited.

I don't know/remember enough about the Zone System to talk about it the way you
can, but there just seems to be something lacking, in the middle, maybe middle
to low? And something way up top, but you already know I'm nuts about highlight
tonal detail.

That doesn't mean superb images can't come out of the MM. Those image files
have all the basics to allow creation of any number of interpretations. Better,
perhaps, for the good artist than files with a preset "opinion"? The return of
St Ansel? "The DNG is the score, the print is the performance."

Color Me Moose