[OM] IMG: Boys in Caps, Reworked

Subject: [OM] IMG: Boys in Caps, Reworked
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2012 13:19:37 +1300
Tina wrote

> PESO:
>
> I followed Ric's suggestion and moved the Clarity onto the negative side:
> Before:
> After:
>
> Is that better?  Enough?
> TIA for C&C.
>
> Tina

Tina, it crosses my mind that you have an excellent basis for deciding
whether or not your scanned colours and skin-tones etc are accurate.

Your slides in your hand.  Put them in your projector and project them on a
good white screen. Failing that, get an Olympus E-1 (which has the Kodak
sensor which is reputed to be very good at skin tones) and, backlighting the
slides and using a macro lens, photograph the slides in question.

You could even, with suitable software such as FastStone Image Viewer,
compare your scanned image with the  E-1 image, side-by-side on your
screen. I hear that E-1 cameras are cheap on fleabay, and there are bound
to be some compatible macro lenses (eg by Panagor) that you can clip on
for little cost.

This would do away with between-computer comparisons where you may
have no idea at all which if any is well colour calibrated.

What do you think?

Brian Swale