Re: [OM] IMG: Boys in Caps, Reworked

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Boys in Caps, Reworked
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2012 16:02:57 -0800
On 11/6/2012 5:33 AM, Tina Manley wrote:
> I followed Ric's suggestion and moved the Clarity onto the negative side:
>
> Before:
>
> After:
>
> Is that better?

Sure.

> Enough?

Well ... I like the first one as an artistic variation from documentary
recording. I find it the more interesting of the
two. The second is likely closer to 'reality' but still not convincing looking,
to my eye.

I've said it before, but will repeat myself. I think you are going about the
process the wrong way. A proper scanning
work flow should result in output files that look very close to the original
slides viewed on a light table.

IF, and I really can't tell from here, the initial scanning process correctly
uses color correction based on the
Kodachrome sample slide, there is one step missing from your scanning work flow.

I determined from the Silverfast web site that the very dark output files you
are getting are, as I suspected, linear
scanner output. They require Gamma correction to look correct to human eyes. As
I recall, Silverfast requires another
piece of their software to do that.

Other scanner software does gamma correction without additional expense. It
seems to me that Silverfast has such a
bewildering array of (apparently) overlapping products to maximize profits,
with the downside that it's well nigh
impossible for most of us to figure out just what we might need.

VueScan happily does gamma correction to linear files. It is also possible to
do gamma correction with PS. I believe it
could be put in to a PS 'droplet', a file onto which one may drag and drop
image files for automated processing.

In any case, by working from the linear files in LR to make them appear to be
of normal brightness, you are throwing
away much of the advantage of the WB calibration in scanning. Those linear
files are meant to be adjusted with a
specific, fixed curve. Substituting any sort of curve alterations via LR
sliders will never get it quite right, and at
least sometimes quite wrong.

Again, the scanner/software process, with color correction based an the test
slide, is capable, when done right, of
making scans of almost all properly exposed slides look very close to the
originals -  WITHOUT FURTHER, MANUAL PROCESSING.

If you were to get that in place, your mass scanning process would require very
little intervention on your part. Most
images could be directly posted or put in stock. That doesn't mean there
wouldn't be useful and creative things to be
done to the special images, or that there wouldn't be images requiring special
treatment, only that your efforts could
be saved for those special images.

There must be Silverfast mavens out there who could get your work flow set up
so you don't have to mess with each file,
mustn't there?

Pedantically Repetitive Moose