Re: [OM] KC Toy Stores

Subject: Re: [OM] KC Toy Stores
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2012 20:30:48 -0500
> And thank goodness, as it's perfect for me!

I can see why. If my right hand was just a touch more flexible to
grip-shape issues, I'd probably be happy with it too. There was a day and
age when Canon EOS bodies were unbearable for me to hold. The latest
variants are wonderful. In fact, the difference between the 5DMk2 and 5DMk3
are night and day. The 5DMk3 and 7D have identical grips. I can hold the 7D
all day without any discomfort whatsoever. In fact, I'll go so far as to
say that it is actually as comfortable to hold as the E-1. Not exactly the
same, but so well done as to be equivalent.

(earth rending statement!)

> There are assumptions here, but I don't care enough to argue.

Bummer dude. ;)

> Now we are to the only point I was trying to make. You propose to
'punish' the maker and seller...

No punishment involved. Not at all. It's just that the product, as
presented, was not compelling enough to me. Is that my fault?

> You have made it clear that you have other, at least in part emotional,
reasons to reject the Oly.

Sure. I feel burned by Olympus. No question about that. I have no doubts
that the EM-5 is an awesome camera, but at this point, most cameras are
awesome cameras. In this world of equals, the differentiation between
systems is usually the intangibles.

> probably impossible. Consider the possibility that all, or almost all, of
those people using iPhones are
> not in fact in pain, and hiding it - they may just have different ears
than you do. (Bluetooth earpiece, dood!)

It isn't just me saying this. Without a gel case, the iPhone 5 is pretty
brutal. But the typical Apple cool-aid drinker won't admit to it. My wife
had a Samsung flip phone that would leave your ear bleeding after a long
phone call. Seriously. As to the earpieces, I use wireless and wired
earpieces most of the time. Mostly wired dual-ear noise-blocking in-ears.

> Perhaps for me it's footwear, for you it's portable electronic devices.
:-) Nah, you are probably picky about
> footwear too. ;-)

Since you mentioned it...

I've had an issue with running shoes. I use custom orthopedic inserts which
have to be able to fit inside of the shoes. Not all shoes have in-soles
that are compatible with them. But, through the years people with my
particular foot shape tend to use Adidas or New Balance. For the last ten
years I've been using exclusively New Balance. It's been over 20 years
since I've been able to wear ANY Nike shoe because of the too soft heal and
lack of pronation control. Probably about three years ago, New Balance
started changing their shoes and they don't work for me anymore. In fact, a
pair I bought last year has left me in extreme pain. Not a good thing,
obviously. The Adidas now have issues in the toe-box. Out of desperation, I
tried several pairs of Nike runners. ONE model fit me well and seemed to
not suffer from my usual complaints. I bought them without even asking what
the price was. ($40). I'm running again and have the goal of entering some
shorter marathons next year. But a nice side benefit is that I'm trying to
peel off some weight. I'm down 15 pounds and have 45 to go to reach my
preferred weight. Anyway, the shoes are working well enough for me that I
may just go ahead and get another pair later this month just to buy myself
time.

About a dozen years ago I purchased a nice pair of hiking boots from
Cabelas. They've turned out to be one of the best footwear purchases I've
ever made. They are great. But I also spent a large chunk of change on
them. These days I wear sandals every chance I get.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx