Re: [OM] Raw MM Files

Subject: Re: [OM] Raw MM Files
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2012 00:37:04 +1300
Tina Manley wrote

> PESO:
>
> Some of you did not get to download the raw MM files from Dropbox before
> they were accidently deleated.  I've loaded them all back up again so if
> you've already gotten the link from Dropbox, they are in the MM file now.
>  If you want to play with the files and haven't sent me your e-mail
> address, just do that off-list and I'll add you to the sharing list.  Just
> be sure to copy the files and not delete them!  It takes a long time to
> upload these large files!
> Tina
> --
> Tina Manley, ASMP
> www.tinamanley.com

I did download one of those files, Tina. 121018_0474.dng  I was surprised to
find it was about 35MB in size.

Most of the image programs (especially the oldest ones) I have did not
recognise the dng format, and of course on my limited machine the one or
two that did, struggled to cope with the large size.

I expected to see a B&W image, so was surprised that it showed as a dull
red. I also noticed that what I expected to be verticals in the building, were
not actually vertical, according to my screen.

So I guess I don't have anything of value to say about that one image.

Mixing threads - I enjoyed your blog about moving house. What an
undertaking. I did wonder about the geology that was involved in depositing
such large boulders in all that sand and clay. i assume the red colour of the
soil / substrate is due to the high summer temperatures of the area.

I was amazed at the size of your kitchen. It seems about 50% larger than
our living-room.  At least you'd get physically fit cooking there. Big walks
going from one activity to another.

I really like the size and format of our kitchen. Space for no more than 2
people ( and I get grumpy if people get in my way when I'm cook); the main
working area is 1.0 to 1.3 m wide and about 2.5 m long. There I have
access to 3 hard surfaces, fridge, stove, sink and larder all within about 1.5
steps or arm's length for me. Wonderful to cook in. Contrasts, contrasts.

Only really wealthy people had AGA cookers when I was a kid. We didn't.
They used coke as fuel. Yes, coke. It came in large sacks - or I suppose you
might be able to get it by the lorry-load.  "This" kind of coke is never seen
these days. It is almost pure carbon, and it the spent material from the retort
heating of coking-coal (there's that word again) which was a form of
anthracite used to make coal-gas for reticulation to houses and businesses,
especially before electricity was common and less expensive.

Coke was black, shiny, hard, full of cavities like pumice, and it was really
difficult to get to start burning. It was in walnut - apple-sized lumps. Once
you got it going you didn't let the flame go out.

That's my lot of useless info for tonight.

Brian Swale.