[OM] (OM) OT Food

Subject: [OM] (OM) OT Food
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 22:36:56 +1300
I can't hope to match Nathan's food photos, but at least I can share food
experiences.

Last night I had to cook a small dinner in a hurry for two light eaters, with
not
a lot to work with.

I had two previously cooked pepperoni sausages in the fridge, so I sliced
them thinly at quite an angle, and put them in a deep fry-pan with a little
rice-
oil and reheated. To this I added some snap-frozen vegetables which I often
use - these packs contain carrots, green broccoli, cauliflower, yellow beans
in pod, green beans same, red capsicum. That's about it. When it was all 5
minutes of being cooked to my satisfaction, I added a table-spoon of peanut
butter and stirred it around to coat at least some of the rest.
While all this was going on I added some long-grain rice to a saucepan with
boiling water and some dried crushed tarragon leaves. My never-fail method
for cooking rice like this is to bring the chosen volume of water to the boil.
gently add the rice into the middle to make a cone shape. When the cone
nearly reaches the surface of the water, stop pouring. Boil for 10 minutes
with no lid on the saucepan, then turn off the heat and place the lid on..
After
10 more minutes the rice will be perfect - all the water absorbed and the rice
easily fluffed up and ready to serve..

Photo by one incandescent light; E-3 at asa 1000.

http://www.brianswale.com/temp/PA258659-1000.JPG

In the photo the rice is far off being ready.

Most of it was eaten and enjoyed :-)

Brian Swale