Re: [OM] Silence of the Lambs?

Subject: Re: [OM] Silence of the Lambs?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 11:49:40 -0500
So, I looked at my cameras.

The Minolta has a non-locking mode dial. It doesn't have too much
resistance and it frequently ends up in the wrong position.

The E1 has a center button lock on the mode dial. It's actually a bit of a
pain. The detents are stiff enough and the plastic smooth enough that I
would think that we could almost remove the lock.

The L-1 uses an entirely different, but traditional  methodology, which has
some advantages, but a distinct disadvantage when quickly flipping back and
forth between modes.

My favorite style of mode selection is the lever/switch which the OM system
uses. With this switch I can have multiple settings which I can just select
from instantly. However, the switch does, more often then not, end up in a
different mode than you intended. Especially in the dark, you have to be
careful that you didn't go from auto to manual.

The E-3/5 mode selector is a button plus spin selector. I reslly don't like
it because it's something that takes more time and effort. Because it takes
more time and effort, there may be some inhibition to changing modes even
when another mode is desirable.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx