[OM] Thoughts on Film

Subject: [OM] Thoughts on Film
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 13:26:05 -0500
Moose wrote:
> While you were fooling around in the rain with film...

I have absolutely no regrets about selecting film for this journey. My
mindset while shooting was completely different and I'm rather excited
about how that went for me. Mentally, it was a liberating experience. Not
everything was roses, though.

At issue, for me, was the fighting of dual formats. I shot both color and
B&W and did so about equally. This creates not only a working tension, but
also brings in greater logistical issues. Had I been a little more aware of
my mental battles during the shoot, I would have adopted some changes. But
the time was so short that I really didn't have much time to figure out
what was happening and how to correct it. Due to my tight schedule, we only
had two full days of shooting together, plus Monday afternoon and Thursday
morning. Between the heavy rains and the fire, our time with cameras on
tripods really wasn't that much. Joel had a couple more days than me, so he
wasn't as rushed as I was.

But back to the film shooting. Will I do it again? Most certainly! It was
actually very liberating in ways that just don't make much sense. There is
little to no tangible reason to shoot film anymore. The advantages of
today's digital cameras outweigh almost all film technology. But that's
regarding the "tangible". The intangibles are another story, though. I shot
in ways that I do not shoot with digital. COULD I shoot digital the same
way? Well, yes, but I (and we) don't. The technology has altered the way we
shoot. As it has altered the way we shoot, we tend to get different
photographs.

I am greatly tempted to buy a set of B&W filters that fit the 35-80/2.8
zoom. I think I could live very comfortably with just that lens for the
vast majority of photographs.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx