Re: [OM] Interesting micro 4/3 lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Interesting micro 4/3 lens
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 10:12:08 -0500
Addled Moose wrote:
> Not sure what you mean here. I've only recently acquired my first µ4/3
gear, and have never had any 4/3 gear. My
> experience with the E-M5 agrees with dpreview and DxO. It is fully
competitive with APS-C and gives away very little to
> FF. I've got all three, and use what I am using through choice.

I haven't had the priveledge of getting my mitts on an E-M5 yet, but from
nearly every picture and test I've seen, the IQ from the camera is
fabulous. Essentially as good as need be for all but the most extreme of
uses. My own concerns with the camera are in other areas. But I wouldn't
hesitate to recommend this camera for anybody for whom the form-factor is
adequate.

> If there are FF people bashing me for the E-M5, I'm not aware of it. The
E-PL1 that I got for $0.05 as backup camera
> might deserve it. It's is not a bad camera in IQ, but certainly well
short of the E-M5, 60D and 5D.

You've been getting bashed, but not just by the FF people. Do try to keep
up, Moose. ;)

> My experience with the 5D with many
> images taken at both apertures, is that f11 and f16 were essentially
equivalent, for my subjects and style. Any loss of
> focal plane detail, which I almost never could see at 100% on a 22"
screen, was offset by gain in DoF.

We've been around the Horn many times on the diffusion blurring thing. I
know from my own personal experience that I can easily live with and
correct this issue to a full stop or more than Chuck's calculations. Like
Moose, I would rather have full control over the DoF and end up restricting
maximum print size than get maximum print size that has inadequate DoF.

My referencing the E-1 was partially a joke and also a truism. The
pixel-sharpness of the E-1 is about as horrid as any digital camera could
ever be. It has taken me a few lifetimes worth of research and testing to
get maximum sharpness from this camera. Diffusion blurring really is a
non-issue with this camera. :(

AG

--
Ken Norton