Re: [OM] Interesting micro 4/3 lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Interesting micro 4/3 lens
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 22:46:10 -0400
On 9/19/2012 11:31 AM, Dawid Loubser wrote:
> Oh, not this again. One would think with me actually being a four thirds
> user, I should be able to discuss equivalence around here.
>
> This lens IS equivalent to a 30mm f/16 in 35mm terms, and can resolve no
> more than what a 30mm at f/16 can.

My problem was that the vast majority of photographers will understand
unmodified comments about f-stops to refer to
lens 'speed', and that's how I understood your comment.

If talking about the diffraction limited resolving power of a particular focal
length and aperture on a particular
film/sensor size, I believe you must more clearly explain if you don't want to
be misunderstood.

> Stop any lens on a digital sensor
> down that far, and the output becomes quite a bit softer. Not a problem
> for most images, but this is an indisputable fact.

Even on an MF digital sensor? Isn't even generally true on the 5D, in my
experience. Did you not mean to refer to sensor
size, rather than film vs. digital?

Questioning Moose