Re: [OM] IMG: Bench View - Mono Lake

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Bench View - Mono Lake
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 09:22:37 -0500
> Yuppers.  A friend who had been to Mono before I went there gave me the
> tip to wait a bit longer than it seems like you should need to for the
> colors to develop.  Everyone also had left before the best colors came
> on when I was there too.  I got some good photos there (the usual
> postcards), but not as good as yours, Bob.  Hats off.

An acquaintance of mine helped "educate" me about Provia 100F color
shift for dusk photography. It's just such a shame that I didn't learn
about it until well after transparency films went the way of land-line
telephones. Anyway, he had almost made a career of shooting there with
Provia LONG after sunset. His observations were that it didn't get
really good until about a half-hour after sunset. I've personally been
applying this trick to other locations too and with fantastic results.

However,

Here is the rub. Films like Provia 100F have a reciprocity failure
which is not synchronized between the various color layers. In the
case of 100F, there is a marked shift towards magenta. But this shift
towards magenta isn't an overall color cast, but applies itself in a
seemingly non-linear manner to the different brightness levels. A
two-minute time-exposure (when the sky is just turning black at the
zenith), will yield a lot of colors in clouds in the western sky.
You'll get colors which the eyes (and digital cameras) are unable to
discern.

I have tried to mimic this trick with digital cameras without success.
I know others have tried too. My acquaintance that taught me this
trick has every imaginable expensive and inexpensive digital camera
and ends up using film instead for these types of shots. But he also
uses Velvia which has a slightly different color shift which
accentuates other colors, where I prefer Provia's shifts instead.

Last week, during the Zuikofest, I used both Provia and Velvia for my
twilight shots.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx