Re: [OM] Zuikofest Pulaskifest

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuikofest Pulaskifest
From: WayneS <olympus@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 21:00:44 -0400
   At 9/19/2012 08:58 PM, you wrote:

     Well, we had a little excitement. Joel and I were out at the point
     east of
     Copper Harbor where they used to launch research rockets. Deep into
     our
     photography, a bit of smoke was getting our attention. There wasn't
     anybody
     around for miles, so we went looking for the fire. By the time we
     found it,
     it had gone about 30 feet into the forest from an abandoned fire pit
     and
     was spreading out. The wind was strong and was fanning it quite
     well. We
     fought it for over an hour and got it somewhat contained before
     taking the
     long drive back to town. Now we smell like forest fire.

   This happened to me many years ago (70's) in the Ozarks. It was a fire
   clearly
   set by someone. Me and my friend used our coats to put it out. Needless
   to say
   our coats were not of much use after that. (fortunately college hand me
   downs)
   We reported the incident to the local police only to be ignored by "so
   what".
   My lesson: hold the memory and don't expect reward for any heroics. Do
   what
   is right in the moment, regardless.
   Wayne