Re: [OM] Abandoned House on Airport Expressway #7

Subject: Re: [OM] Abandoned House on Airport Expressway #7
From: Dawid Loubser <dawid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 21:40:07 +0200
Nice image!

Chris, we have argued about this before (on RFF amongst other places)
but surely you too have to admit - since you are scanning all these
older negatives - that digital currently simply cannot produce these
delectable mid-tones. Everybody pounces on me when I try to discuss it,
but I can see it clearly in other people's work, even when they try to
post digital examples to prove otherwise. I caused quite a flame-war on
dpreview.com discussing the Leica MM and it's severe highlight clipping
in even non-extreme everyday scenarios, yet every single image posted as
counter-argument *proved* my point. The bland linearity of the
monochrome output of a digital sensor simply cannot be escaped, but
those without the means, patience or discipline to wield the superiour
medium try their best to argue the technical merits, instead of simply
admitting that they like not having to spend a couple of hours producing
a single image.

My recently-posted tree image from the Knysna forest served as a
personal reminder for me, vindicating my choice of medium. I have to
work darn hard to make my digitally-captured images look anywhere near
as pleasing. And the fact is, the *cannot* look *as* pleasing, because
the information simply is not there.

Bravo for focusing on your film-based work again! There is no substitute
for a large piece of film, period. Looking forward to what you put up
next. My door is certainly being banged down for optical prints of my
Knysna forest image, and wouldn't you know it - I'm currently without a
frickin' darkroom. It's driving my crazy...

regards,
Dawid