Re: [OM] An interesting avenue to take and play with

Subject: Re: [OM] An interesting avenue to take and play with
From: "Sawyer, Edward" <Ed.Sawyer@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 13:33:40 +0000
You can certainly still do so. The "hot mirror" filter which filters IR can
be replaced with an optical flat (think microscope slide glass or the like).
You could get a piece cut to size/shape from a place like Edmund Optics.
Plenty of people have DIY'ed this job, with all sorts of cameras.

The glass changes the optical pathlength, without it the image would not be
in focus on the sensor. The difference is small but noticable. There's a
formula for it, the image shifts by a factor of the thickness of the glass
element itself.  It's why filters on the front of lenses don't affect focus,
but ones in the middle of the lens or behind the lens do. (E.g. RZ 37mm
fisheye,  Canon EF 300/2.8L, etc.)