Re: [OM] Getting wireless to work - aka the old gizzard lives on to see

Subject: Re: [OM] Getting wireless to work - aka the old gizzard lives on to see another day
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 09:19:49 -0500
> Yeah, but do you just plug it into your PC and run some application or is it
> more complex than that ?

That's pretty much about it.

At issue is the "terms" aren't quite as industry standard as you would
like. Is a "computer" a computer or is it an iPad or is it a
smartphone? Depending on what screen you are in the definition
changes.

For some reason I was able to get it to work with the iPad and the
phone. Now it just works with the phone and I can't get the iPad to
work. Oh, well. It was the phone that I really wanted to have
functional anyway. The range of the card in a shielded card slot of
the camera is rather tight, so unless I'm working in the studio and
running "tethered" to the desktop, my usual implementation would be
through the phone. And the phone is always within arms reach or on my
person.

Speaking of "terms", the term "relay" takes on two different meanings
within the software too. It could be frustrating, but the coolness
factor does outweigh the pain. I think.

My past beef with the company behind Eye-Fi remains. They don't listen
to their customers. Not just in regards to the unending requests for a
CF card version (won't ever happen), but to the on-net photo services
they support. They haven't gotten around to supporting the Google apps
yet (drive, G+), but they still support MobileMe and a couple other
things that don't exist anymore. When pegged about software
improvements (everybody's complaint), their basic answer is that "you
eventually figured it out so it can't be too bad".

The upload behavior is odd. An upload to the phone may take seconds
before it starts, or it might take many minutes. The upload from the
phone to the on-line service can happen in seconds or minutes. Of
course, any upload to the on-line service is interrupted by the camera
to phone upload. Except on Tuesdays or while the moon is waxing
gibbous. The only assurance I really have is that the photos might get
where you want them to be. Eventually.

For my application, the key to everything is to not expect too much.
I've tried the gallery upload DURING the event. While it works, the
performance is such with the coming and going nature of the relay
function, that I shouldn't expect more than ten photos per hour to
make it in a fully automated manner. If I can stop and batch process
the activity, I can get much better performance. Especially if I'm
using email. One thing that really helped performance was resizing the
images before uploading to an on-line service. Getting from camera to
phone is fast. It really is. But getting from phone to Internet
destination travels by camel caravan. If you get it mad it spits at
you.

There have been past reports of data integrity in the memory card. I
suspect that it was a combination of an earlier version of the card
and incorrect software configuration. There is a feature called
"Endless Memory". I would be extremely cautious about using that
feature. Regardless, I'm pushing the snot out of the card now so that
if there is a problem, I'd rather it show up now than during something
important.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx