[OM] Getting wireless to work - aka the old gizzard lives on to see anot

Subject: [OM] Getting wireless to work - aka the old gizzard lives on to see another day
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 11:46:47 -0500
I know that some of you have already figured this out, so it's old news to
you. But my past experience with the Eye-fi product has been pretty
disastrous. Well, that has been somewhat resolved by buying a new one and
starting with a fresh approach. I want to thank Bart, from the other list,
for help on this as his suggestions got me going in the right direction.

1. Buy Eye-Fi 4Gb X2 card.
2. Plug into host computer, run setup
3. Download app for iPad.
4. Download app for Android Phone
5. Configure accordingly.
6. Enjoy.

Here's how I have mine setup for the moment. I've got the Eye-Fi card in
the Panasonic DMC-L1. As it's an SD card, it won't quite fit in the E-1. I
don't know if the SD-CF adapters work, but I don't have one anyway. I've
got this configured so if you "protect" an image, it will upload to my
nearby phone. I have it set to copy only the JPEG. The RAW file stays in
the memory card. (that would really clot up the bandwidth, making for a
miserable affair, but this is configurable). As the DMC-L1 gives you no
choice in regards to the creation of a JPEG (it always creates one even
with the RAW file), this makes life a little easier. The image transfers
over automatically to the phone where it appears in an image browser
screen. Select whatever images to upload to any destination supported by
the Android phone.

I can also have it setup in an automated relay fashion. The selected JPEGs
transfer to the phone and the phone uploads those same images to the
destination of choice. This can be Facebook, email, Flickr, Smugmug, FTP,
Gallery2, Gallery3, or a web-accessed drive. Not to mention a few dozen
other choices.

This fully addresses my need of being able to photograph an event and
provide live (or near live) images of that event to the organization for
posting on their blog or website.

The key to this is the "protect" flag. That's what Eye-fi uses to know what
you want to select and upload. Unfortunately, in the DMC-L1, the protect
function is buried in a menu, so it's not a two button press affair.
(select and confirm). For my event coverage, I shoot tons of pictures, but
will use this feature to provide select images during the shoot to the
client for on-line posting.

The iPad version works exactly the same way, but that one still needs a
WiFi connection to upload to the world. My phone does either WiFi or
cellular.

The configuration of the devices is less than clear. Unless somebody
actually points the way for you, it is doubtful that you'd ever find that
one method that you seek. The software is less than user-friendly in that
regard. Not bad, if you know what it is that you want, but still a bit
convoluted.

My past efforts with the Eye-Fi have been using direct WiFi upload. This X2
version still supports that, but doesn't address the usual issues that crop
up. Distance and signal strength was always a problem and I needed to tote
a laptop and WiFi router along everywhere. This new configuration is great
because the cellphone is always close enough to the camera so signal
strength isn't an issue. Also, since it directly loads to the storage in
the phone, the phone functions as a relay device to the network. I can have
it upload automatically to the on-line system or by doing a two-step
process.

To avoid the "protect" flag requirement, I can have the camera
automatically upload all JPEGs as they are created. Then in the phone (or
iPad, or computer), I can do my selects to upload. The original images stay
on the card for regular download like any other memory card. (unless you
have the "endless memory" feature enabled).

The 4Gb version runs about $40 USD.

AG

--
Ken Norton