[OM] Need a camera advice

Subject: [OM] Need a camera advice
From: Willie Wonka <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 06:06:48 -0700 (PDT)
I promised someone from my Jeep list that would help him to choose a camera.

Here what his initial post was:

"

So, I'm looking to purcase a nice camera for my wife since our last
Nikon Coolshot got ruined on our honeymoon so... I think it's time to
get her a new one for the up coming Christmas holiday. I'm looking to
spend around $500 ish and I want an DSLR but that's about all i know.
Canon and Nikon cameras look so similar that its hard to differ between
the two. But so far ive been looking at the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
400D Black 10.1MP DSLR Camera Kit w/18-55mm Lens which I can get right
now for about $450. So any advice or past experience would be greatly
apreaciated. "

I asked him to tell me what pictures he likes to take and how he intends to use
the camera, upon which he returned these two replies:

"Well mostly recreational use, like vactions and pictures of this and
that. But she has mentioned to me that one day she would like to do side
 work with photography, like family pictures and such. So i guess what
im looking for is a camera that is worth buying that she can get a taste
 of photography to see if she likes it or not. Something to build on if
that makes any sense haha.
Thanks for the replies!"

"Oh and I forgot
I like to take pictures of landscapes, since my wife and I fly for free
we are planning in the future to take some trips to europe on such. So I
 think that a camera that is versitile Day/night indoors/outdoors ect."

My knee jerk reaction is that he probably does not need a DSLR, but would like
to hear your opinion and suggestions.

Correct me if I am wrong, but advanced amateur camera (ie one lens does it all
design, such as the Minolta A1) would be much smaller, have more features and
the quality of pictures is going to be compatible to what he needs, because you
see difference in quality after the picture is enlarged to 8X10+.

Thanks in advance.

Best

Boris

Boris Grigorov on LinkedIn