Re: [OM] (Way, Way OT) Football

Subject: Re: [OM] (Way, Way OT) Football
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 06:33:18 +0100
You might be right Moose, but I don't subscribe to the art world's description
of "modern".  For me, "modern" means relating to recent times rather than the
distant past, whether or not there was a lacuna in the Olympics.  This implies
that there is no such thing as "post-modern" in linguistic terms, of course.

And it is still the case that the IOC and the national committees leave me
cold, along with the various contracts that they insist that the host nations
adopt.

However, the sportsmen and women have made the whole spectacle a wonder.  I
have to admit to a particular fascination for the runners, and the USA's female
sprinters are a wonder to behold.  Last night I watched Carmelita Jeter finish
the 4 x 100m relay; wow!  They were powerful on the track and charming in the
post-race interview.

:-)

Chris