Re: [OM] OM-D & lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-D & lenses
From: Frank Wijsmuller <wijsmuller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 21:55:19 +0200
I bought the e-m5 short before my holiday, and used the 12-50mm mostly. The
m43 9-18 and 40-150 got less use. I also had the 20mm with me but didn't
use it that much, because it locks the e-m5 (firmware 1.1) to the point
where you have to put the battery out and in again. From 3200 Iso there
sometimes is a banding problem as well. Not certain that firmware 1.2
solves both, but Olympus got some problems with upgrading to it, and for
now you can no longer upgrade to 1.2

The 12-50mm got far more use then I thought (I expected the 9-18 would be
glued on). It is quite sharp, it focussed fast and in most cases spot on.

Of course it is a slow lens, but the high ISO capabilities of the e-m5 make
that less of a problem. I liked the handling too, although the zoom is 'by
wire', I think it is implemented really well. A complaint could be that the
zoom ring easily slips to the video zoom option, causing some unexpected
zoom delay so sometimes slowing the shot.

So I think that it should be on the must have list of every e-m5 owner,
since it has so much added benefits (sealed, macro) for not so much money
(€200, $300)

Depending on your shooting style I wouldn't give the 12-60 up though, as
long as you don't need the af speed. I bought one myself recently (bit of
luck) and it really has good quality (and very decent macro capability as
well).

Best, Frank

2012/8/9 Jim Couch