Re: [OM] They're coming around to my way of thinking

Subject: Re: [OM] They're coming around to my way of thinking
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2012 21:16:01 -0700
On 8/7/2012 3:47 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Hmm, the Panny DMP-BDT500 has excellent rep for video and sound
> quality.

I don't remember the model. It was the latest a few months ago. No problem at
all with video and sound for DVD and
Blu-ray, that's one reason I bought it, the good reviews for that.

The problem was with all the other things it was supposed to do, like play
video files. Even with the latest firmware,
lots of fussing around converting video, and a chat with tech support, it was
clear it would play only a very few
videos, even among the formats it supposedly supported. I couldn't even play
some I'd taken myself.

As far as I could tell, the Samsung had at least as good video/sound quality,
and would play most videos without a fuss.
A MUCH more practical, usable product. As a side 'benefit' it sort of
communicates with my Sammy TV. If I turn on the
player, the TC turns on and switches to the right input.

Both players did a better job uprezzing DVDs than the TV. I think, maybe, I
recall the Sammy is slightly better at that
task. Good enough, anyway, that with a good DVD, one quickly forgets it's not
HD.

Sammy Moose