Re: [OM] Olympics iPhone Photos

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympics iPhone Photos
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2012 22:26:49 -0500
On 8/4/12 21:51 : , Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I'd very much like to see how he has the binoculars physically connected
> to the iphone.  In the comments there seems to be some mystery
> surrounding how he manages to focus the phone with the binoculars as the
> objective.  This method of combining the two optics is familiar to
> telescope users and is called "eyepiece projection".  To make it work
> only requires that the iphone focus be locked on infinity and that the
> binoculars be focused (for the eye) on the subject in question.  I
> suspect that he is viewing the subject through one of the eyepieces (and
> keeping it in focus there) while the other eyepiece is projecting an
> image into the iphone.  The only mystery here is how he manages to hold
> phone and binoculars rigidly together.  Presumably he has some sort of
> custom mounting bracket for the two.
>
> An 8-10 MP point&  shoot with long range zoom would be much more
> practical and likely produce much better results.
>
> Chuck Norcutt
>

> On 8/4/2012 2:27 PM, Tina Manley wrote:
>> Oops.  The second link should be
>>
>> http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/27/london-olympics-2012-smartphone?fb=native

Yes.  That's the part I'm curious about as well.  I've seen accessory
lenses and case/mounts for the iPhone, but I'd definitely like to see
how he has all of that rigged together.

--

Paul Braun
Valparaiso, IN

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life" - Harlan Howard