[OM] F280 + OM4T

Subject: [OM] F280 + OM4T
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 14:39:25 -0400 (EDT)
Yep, I recall several threads on this. The F280 in super FP mode
behaves like an itsy bitsy flashbulb by pulsing the strobe..
I believe Tim has confirmed the output is fixed and the nomogram in the
manual gives the working distance for a rather bright fill. I don't
think TTL fill was quite worked out yet. In auto mode on the OM4T the
metering will integrate the flash/ambient to get correct exposure but
the balance requires the phtog to figure it out with distance/ND
filter. I believe Tim would have designed it to alter the pulse
frquency to modulate the fill
for a true computed fill flash. I don't know how high speed sync
modulates fill with i-TTL or e-TTL2 these
days. Perhaps there was a film cam that had metered TTL fill but I
don't know. Usually have just used normal auto for that per Dr. Flash.
Side note: 4T uses the F280 +ambient to calculate exposure implies
flash bulbs in FP mode will
work on auto on a OM2 or 2N. Manual says to use manual but n=1
experiment in auto did work! FP flash bulbs are like super powered F280
if that is a consistent result.

http://omesif.moosemystic.net/om-sif/flashphotogroup/f280.htm

Super FP Flash Guide Numbers (m.) Normal "OTF" Flash Range Guide (ISO
100) Super FP Flash / Range Chart
Shutter speed OM-707 OM-3Ti, OM-4Ti
1/2000 3.1 2.6
1/1000 4.3 3.7