Re: [OM] I'm back (in digital, kinda...)

Subject: Re: [OM] I'm back (in digital, kinda...)
From: Dawid Loubser <dawid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 12:36:44 +0200
Philippe, thank you for the compliments :-)

The staircase shot was totally produced with that amazing lens you sold
me. My friend was not in need of a 7-14 (he found one himself) which
encouraged me to try it for myself, and pick up some (bargain price,
as-new condition) second-hand four thirds gear.

The E-5 is a large, ugly "appliance" compared to the design perfection
of the OM-3/4Ti (and I try not to think about it too much) and the
focusing screen is utterly useless for manual focusing, but if one does
not fight it, and rather adapt to the usage patterns it was intended
for, it's a very high performance tool. "Poor sensor" be damned, the
image quality is fantastic, and the sharpest I have *ever* seen from a
digital camera, without the amount of false detail and colour produced
by the Leica M8/M9 cameras.

While the theoretical resolution of 6c7cm film is much greater, as a
almost-daily practitioner of this format I can assert that the E-5
images exhibit greater detail for most shots, due to more accurate
focusing, extraordinary lens resolution, and (when you want it) deeper
DOF.

Can't wait to see what Olympus has in store for a long-term solution to
keep this lens system alive, the Micro lenses that require software
correction can't quite cut it yet.

keep well,
Dawid