Re: [OM] off course

Subject: Re: [OM] off course
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2012 16:12:39 +0100
No, not long at all. The Caledonian Orogeny is relatively recent - only 450
million years ago (in round numbers). If you had come north last year I
could have shown you some *really* old stuff (aside from a regularly used
camera which is more than 60 years old) - rock from almost 3Ga ago (3
thousand million years) at Oldshoremore:

First, the beach:
http://www.hemy.me.uk/img/P9132209.jpg

Second, the cliff seen in the previous image, showing the characteristic mix
of deeply twisted basaltic and granitic rock:
http://www.hemy.me.uk/img/P9132211.jpg

The background is explained here, courtesy of University of Oxford:
http://tinyurl.com/AgeNWHighlands or, if you prefer a home-grown commentary,
try here:
http://epod.usra.edu/blog/2007/01/lewisian-gneiss-in-scotland.html

As it happens, Oldshoremore is very close to Clachtoll, but the exposed rock
there is much younger, only 1.2Ga old (!) of which I already posted this
image:
http://www.hemy.me.uk/img/Clachtoll.jpg

Or maybe I misunderstood ;-)

Piers