Re: [OM] B&W Lily

Subject: Re: [OM] B&W Lily
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2012 22:37:00 +1200
Joel wrote in response to Moose

> On Sun, Jul 1, 2012, at 09:31 PM, Moose wrote:
>
> > Absent further evidence of my own eyes, I think most problems with
> > digital B&W prints are poor technique, both in
> > preparation and printing. For many artists, neither resolution nor
> > perfect retention of all highlight and shadow detail
> > are of interest.
>
> I think maybe this sort sums up your quarrel with the world, n'est-ce pas?
> ;)
>
> Joel W.
This situation is reflected in the "Fine Art" world of oil, acrylic and
watercolour painting.
Many / most of the artists painting so-called "representational" art ( eg
landscapes) - itself an art form decried by very many art critics, avoid at all
costs doing too much detail.

People who buy representational art, especially of landscapes they know
well, really don't care if there is no fine detail. Maybe they even prefer it
that
way.  I've been told this by one or two people who I know are interested in
certain works I'm familiar with. Works priced individually at around $4,000.

And such works DO sell. That's why I'm teaching myself watercolour
painting.

Incidentally, this week I had my first genuine enquiry (in about 3 years from
year dot) for a photograph - and it was from Australia. Unfortunately, I did
not have a photo that matched the needs.

Brian Swale