Re: [OM] (OM) OT Health matters

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT Health matters
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 10:41:06 -0400
I think you meant to say glucose.  You've confused sucrose (ordinary
table sugar from corn, sugar beets or sugar cane) with glucose.  Sucrose
is a 50/50 mixture of glucose and fructose.  High fructose corn syrup
has its fructose content upped such that the ratio is 55% fructose to
45% glucose.  Fructose has a sweeter taste than glucose and, of course,
high fructose corn syrup is sweeter still.

Fructose at any concentration puts a load on the liver since that's the
only place it can be metabolized.  Glucose, however, can be metabolized
anywhere in the body.  If you eat fruit you're getting fiber with the
fruit which slows the digestion process down.  But drinking a Coke slams
the liver with a high fructose load in very short order.

Ordinary carbs from grain or potatoes contain glucose only, no fructose.
  Easier on the body.  But I don't eat much in the way of carbs of any
sort.  It's healthier to eat fat.

Chuck Norcutt