Re: [OM] Rexall Drug Sign - Winterset, Iowa

Subject: Re: [OM] Rexall Drug Sign - Winterset, Iowa
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 14:22:47 -0500
On Wed, Jun 27, 2012, at 01:07 PM, Moose wrote:
> On 6/27/2012 9:50 AM, Bob Whitmire wrote:
> > I think he's talking about Bridges of Madison County. Not such a good book.
> > Tolerable movie what with Meryl Streep and Clint Eastwood (the National
> > Geographic Photographer).

It appears that you actually did read it.  There are many people I know
who would say that without having read it.  It is like something died
and stunk up the place.

I thought it was OK.  There were two stretches of prose that I thought
were a little embarrassing (not everyone writes about sex well), but
otherwise pretty OK.

There are so many writers in this town dreaming for a break like Robert
Waller got that the derision and envy was palpable.  I recall having a
conversation with the supercilious checkout lady in Prairie Lights
bookstore and saying I didn't think it was a bad book.  She looked at me
like I had said the thing that is not.  But that was I mostly being
disagreeable and contrary-wise as is my wont.

On the other hand, I tried to read his second book and couldn't muster
the will to get past the second or third page. "Slow Dance at Cedar
Bend" or something like that.  Whatever the first novel was, the "magic"
was not to be repeated.

Joel W.