Re: [OM] Rexall Drug Sign - Winterset, Iowa

Subject: Re: [OM] Rexall Drug Sign - Winterset, Iowa
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 12:01:16 -0500
> Thanks for the all the detail.  But with a 5-stop exposure range in the
> brackets why not just get a gross meter reading (maybe limited to the
> wall) and pick one after processing?

Because I'm a geek?

Actually, there is a practical aspect to it. By being careful with the
exposure determination I was able to get a decent primary exposure.
The brackets ended up being unnecessary, but still potentially
useful--especially considering that I'm using Velvia which has the
exposure latitude just this side of microfilm. Had I metered less
carefully, my exposure could have been 2 stops off and my brackets
would have just skimmed the acceptable range on just the one side.

The other aspect of this, which I didn't dwell on, is the Zone System
approach. Multi-spot metering is all about identifying brightness
values and making a decision where to place those values on the
capturing medium. The Histogram/Chimp method is all about making sure
everything gets captured and then make tonal decisions later. But what
that does is separate the on-location visualization from the
post-processing. Yes, we CAN achieve the same results in the end, but
I believe it is less likely to happen. When you are going through the
images in the computer, the visualization has changed. No longer are
you in the same mindset as when shooting.

I had a very specific goal when making this photograph. I knew exactly
what I wanted as an end result. I used my knowledge of the curve
characteristics of Velvia to achieve the goal. Let's say I was
shooting 4x5 Velvia--I would have devoted a couple sheets to the shot
and that would be it. I would have to be very convinced that my
exposure is dead on. In the case of the two-sheet approach, I would
have done one at +2/3 and the other at -2/3.

AG (Things change. They always do) Schnozz

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx