Re: [OM] Tina's B&W photos

Subject: Re: [OM] Tina's B&W photos
From: Tina Manley <images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 21:01:25 -0400
I'm old.  I have arthritis and two artificial knees.  I can sit in front of
the computer and work on old photos but I cannot load up my backpack and
hike up and down mountains and sleep in hammocks for weeks at a time
anymore.  I do still take photos around my farm of ducks having sex and
tomatoes on the vine and my grandchildren.  Those sell fine for stock but
they are not what I love photography for.  I would rather live in the past
going through my old photos.  Some of my current photos of food, ducks,
etc. are there on the pBase site:
http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/peso_2012&page=all

Would you want to spend a lot of time on current photos that every Tom,
Dick, and Jane are capturing on their cellphone or go back to what you
remember as being a wonderful time photographing people and places that
most photographers never have the opportunity to see?

I understand what you are saying and I spent three days last week
photographing local food banks and meals on wheels, but I still prefer
photos from the past.  The present is depressing.

Thanks!

Tina

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 8:12 PM, Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Going totally against the, ah, grain here, I suppose my question would be
> this: Why spend a large portion of your life scanning 500,000 images from
> the past rather than heading out to shoot 500,000 more?
>
> It's not as flip a question as it might at first seem. You have the
> slides. You have the negatives. Methods exist for preservation. Preserve
> and protect and move on. If it's that important, surely someone can find a
> grant to hire professional "scanners" to digitalize your work and let you
> get on with the very real business at hand, which is doing what you're best
> at: TAKING PICTURES!
>
> My humble contrarian opinion, worth _exactly_ what you paid for it. <g>
>
> --Bob
>

> On Jun 28, 2012, at 6:02 PM, Tina Manley wrote:
>
> > They are very subtle but definite changes for the better.  So when can
> you
> > move to South Carolina and help me do this to 500,000 photos?
>
> --

Tina Manley, ASMP
www.tinamanley.com